The National Executive (NE) met in Ottawa, Ontario from Friday, September 20th to Monday, September 23rd, 2019, with the afternoon of Sunday and the morning of Monday being In-Camera from 9 am to 11 am to discuss the direction of the Union. The NE went on record from 11 am to 12 pm on Monday, so that the resolutions discussed would be recorded in the minutes of the NE Fall 2019 meeting.
The minutes of the April 2019 NE meeting were approved at this meeting and will be available on the CEIU website shortly. Should you, as a member of CEIU, wish to read or view these minutes, or the previous minutes of the National Executive meetings, please contact a member of your Local Executive, as they have been provided with the password to access these minutes.
With a full agenda, time did not allow for all the business to be addressed, and the remaining agenda items will be part of a conference call in the next few weeks at which time the Minutes of the NE September 2019 meeting should be adopted. Once these are adopted, they will be posted on our website.
The PSAC National President, Chris Aylward, accepted our invitation and addressed the National Executive on the 1st day of meeting. He spoke on various issues, such as bargaining, the upcoming elections, the CEIU trusteeship and lessons learned by all, and, as always, Phoenix, which is not going away anytime soon.
Until the minutes of the September 2019 NE meeting are approved, below is a summary of the decisions that were made by your National Executive last weekend:
- 15 CEIU Scholarships were awarded to some members and/or their dependants
- National Executive Expenses line item was increased by $100,000 for 2020.
- $100,000 from the 2019 unallocated funds is to be moved to the training budget
- Training funds in the amount of $60,000 will be set aside for all National Committees to meet an additional day which will be added to their regular meetings between the CEIU Convention and December 2020
- Telework Policy to be developed for the CEIU staff
- New Regulation 18 (replaces Regulation 18A and Regulation 18B)
- New Policy 33 – Services Offered at CEIU National Events for Members with Disabilities
- Revised Policy 18 - Elections
- Preparation of the 2020 Convention Call Out with timelines
- A number of resolutions were adopted to be submitted to the 2020 CEIU Convention
- Update of the Resolutions of Record Booklet
- Update to Regulation # 2
Changes and additions to the Regulations and Policies, as per the decisions of the NE, will be completed in the next few weeks and added to the CEIU website.
The following reports can be viewed immediately by clicking on the specific link below:
- Report of the National President / List of activities
- Report of the National Executive Vice-President / List of activities
Reports of the National Vice-Presidents will be made available on the CEIU website shortly.
The next meeting of the National Executive will be held in Ottawa from March 26th to 29th, 2020. As always, the National Executive is hard at work for our members. Don’t hesitate to contact your respective National Vice-President(s) if there are items that you would like them to add to the agenda for the upcoming Spring 2020 meeting.