The CEIU National Executive met for their Fall meeting, from December 8 to 13th, 2021. This was the first meeting with the new National Executive who took office at the end of the 2021 CEIU Convention back on August 20th, 2021.
The first day of meeting on December 8th was divided into two meetings: the Finance Committee and the By-Laws Committee. Review of the CEIU By-Laws, Regulations and Policies as well as the Financial Guidelines was considered a training for the National Executive, with the actual NE meeting starting on Saturday, December 11th to 13th, 2021.
The hybrid meeting was held with some members attending the meeting in-person in Ottawa and others joining by Zoom. There were also some observers joining by Zoom.
Below is the list of NE meeting minutes which were approved:
- Approved the NE minutes of May 28th, 2021
- Approved the NE minutes of June 30th, 2021
- Approved the NE minutes of August 10th, 2021
These minutes will be made available under ‘MINUTES’ in the next few days. A member of your Local Executive would have the ‘password’ should you wish to take a look and read those minutes.
The National Executive adopted recommendations made by the Finance Committee and the By-Laws Resolutions Committee. These are as follows:
- To have the By-Laws Committee review the Scholarship Policy to ensure members get maximum benefit from available scholarship funds
- To invite CEIU’s investment banker to come to an NE meeting to provide a presentation on CEIU’s investment portfolio
- To donate $50,000 to the PSAC Social Justice Funds for the BC floods support funds
- To make modifications to the Financial Guidelines
- To adopt a CEIU Statement on Oppression and Racism
- To prepare a survey for our membership to get content for the CEIU Bargaining Conference
- To merge Local 50758 to Local 50770 as per the request of both locals and the NVP for MAN/SASK
- To remove Local 20956 from under trusteeship as per the request of the NVP for BC/YT.
- To offer 17 CEIU Scholarships in the amount of $2,000 each.
A big thank you to those listed below who made a presentation to the National Executive virtually, except for Mr. Wex who attended in person:
- Richard Wex, IRB Chairperson
- Kevin Whitehouse, Director General of Human Resources at IRB
- Caroline Xavier, Associate Deputy Minister for IRCC who joined us on behalf of Ms. Catrina Tapley the Deputy-Minister who had been called to a last-minute meeting with Mr. Shawn Fraser, the Minister for IRCC
- Josée Lapointe, Director, Workplace Effectiveness, Human Resources at IRCC
- Natalie Bussières, Assistant Director, Center of Expertise, LR, Human Resources at IRCC
- Lori MacDonald, Senior Associate Deputy Minister of ESDC and Chief Operating Officer for Service Canada
Presentations to the National Executive by CEIU staff were done by:
- Luc Pomerleau, Coordinator of Representation
- Allison Pilon, Employment Equity and Human Rights Officer
- Ashley Petrin, Membership Engagement Officer
As per the CEIU By-Laws, the following reports were received and are available to read by clicking on the specific report(s) below:
- Report of the National President, and Activity Report of the National President
- Report of the National Executive Vice-President, and Activity Report of the NEVP
- Report of the NVP for Human Rights
- Report of the NVP for IRB
- Report of the NVP for IRCC
- Report of the NVP for BC/YT
- Report of the NVP for Alberta/NWT/Nunavut
- Report of the NVP for MAN/SASK
- Joint report from the NVPs for Ontario
- Report of the NVP for NCR
- Report of the NVP for NB/PEI
- Report of the NVP for NL/NS
- Report of the NVPs for Quebec
- Report of the NVP for Women’s Issues, Eastern Region
Report of the NVP for Women’s Issues, Western Region
Also available are the following National Committee Reports:
As you can see from the above, the National Executive are hard at work, not only at this National Executive meeting, but every day for our membership.
The National Executive did not get the chance to complete its agenda items and will therefore be holding a virtual meeting in the next few weeks.
A 15-hour training on privilege and intersectionality is also set for January 17th and 18th, 2022 for the National Executive as per the resolution that was adopted at the 2021 CEIU Convention back in August.
The Spring meeting of the National Executive is scheduled to be held in Ottawa from April 5th to 9th, 2022.
Your National Executive are available should you wish to send them an email or speak with them on any issues you may have. To see the list of the CEIU National Executive, click on this link.