Since the last update was posted on our site in June 2021, CEIU has held two meetings with the ESDC Labour Relations team on August 18 and June 21 and on September 21, 2021, to monitor the file processing. Here are the highlights of these meetings:
- For current incumbents who have held, since September 13, 2018 or later, a position involving pension or integrity operations, and to whom the new Program Services Officer (PM-01) job description applies, whose salaries have not yet been adjusted from CR-04 to PM-01 and who had not filed a grievance (948 individuals involved). To date, Compensation has received 937 completed files from EDSC for processing. 902 incumbents have received their salary adjustments and 891 have received their retroactive payments. The remaining 11 files at EDSC are still being processed (948-937).
- On September 15, 2021, 7 individuals had still not replied whether they intend to claim a tax exemption. To avoid holding up your files, we recommend that the relevant members reply as quickly as possible to the department as soon as a decision is made.
- For current incumbents who have held, since September 13, 2018, a position to which the Program Services Officer (PM-01) (pension or integrity operations) job description applies. Incumbents who have filed a grievance. All the 85 completed files were sent to Compensation, while 81 of them have received their salary adjustments and 80 have received their retroactive payments. Finally, EDSC is processing the remaining files.
- For members who filed grievances regarding the job description of their PSDC position between 2008 and September 13, 2018, but who left their position before September 13, 2018. This is about approximately 427 individuals. Compensation has received 385 completed files to process, and 246 individuals have received retroactive payments. At the same time, ESDC is completing the signing process for 9 other files, and they are awaiting 11 responses from complainants in other files. For the remaining of the files to be processed, ESDC continues to send the documentation to the relevant individuals. Finally, ESDC is in contact with the families to process the 13 or so inheritance files (members who are deceased) and is working with 5 remaining files with the family.
- ESDC and Compensation have changed their goal of finalizing the vast majority of remaining cases and at the same time making payments by December 31, 2021.
We recommend that members who receive payments to not immediately contact Compensation to obtain a breakdown of the amounts received as they will receive consulting services on compensation in 2021. In this way, Compensation employees can continue to work to pay the remaining members.
- In addition, for retired members whose retroactive payments have an impact on their pension amounts, it is important to remember that compensation automatically transmits the payment information to the Federal Pension Centre so that members' pensions can be adjusted accordingly. The processing of files can be done either automatically by their system or manually for more complex files. It is logical to assume that many of these files fall into the "more complex" category and will require the intervention of a Pension Centre Officer. We have been advised of the time frame required to process these files, which is March 31, 2022. Therefore, there is no need to contact the Pension Centre to request a follow-up at this time.
- We will continue to monitor the progress of the file processing with the ESDC Labour Relations team and will keep you informed.
- With respect to the policy grievance filed on March 29, 2019 to denounce the employer’s decision not to consider all members who carried out Pension and Integrity related operations as Program Services Officer (PM-01), we are still awaiting a hearing date with Treasury Secretary Board in spite of our follow-up attempts. We will keep you informed regarding the next steps.
Please continue to check the CEIU website for more updates.